Children dentistry is a comprehensive therapeutic oral health care for children from birth through adolescence, including care for those who demonstrate intellectual, medical, physical, psychological and/or emotional problems.
At Midway Dental Clinic, Dentists strongly believe that the essential dental care for giving children the strong foundation for a healthy life, from childhood through adolescence and beyond. We serve as the primary dental service providers and also as the leading local family dentist we are committed to the children’s dental and oral healthcare and provide advanced, special level of care for infants, children, adolescents and patients with specific dental care needs.
The reasons why children should seek dental treatment are:
- Tooth decay is one of the main chronic infectious disease affecting children and is basically preventable.
- Tooth decay affects 1 in 2-3 children aged 2 to 11 years.
- Children with poor oral health experience dental pain are more likely to miss the school three times more than their peers
- Early treatment of severe childhood tooth caries or tooth cavities can save thousands; avoid any need towards hospitalization in seeking further dental care treatment under general anaesthesia.
Tips on today’s little teeth for tomorrow’s big healthy smile
Following are the tips to assist your children regarding their dental and oral healthcare:
- Parents should assist and supervise brushing their children’s teeth twice a day; until they are independent or have the manual agility to write their name, or at age seven.
- Children should start seeing the family dentist within six months after their first tooth appears or no later than their first birthday.
- Children should be encouraged to accompany the parents and/or siblings during their six monthly visits to their family dentist on a regular basis.
- Children should be monitored and limited towards their intake of fizzy drinks and juice, instead be encouraged as a treat over the weekends only.
- Stick to milk and water during the week.
- Restrict sweets to mealtimes only.
Your Child’s First Visit to the Dentist
It is generally recommended that a child be seen by a dentist by the age of 1 or within 6 months after his or her first tooth comes in.
The first dental visit of the child is usually a brief one, involves very little or no dental treatment. As a new patient you will be required to complete medical and health information form for the child. This visit gives your child an opportunity to be introduced to the new dental environment and also meet the family dentist in a non-threatening and friendly way. At Midway Dental Clinic, we encourage the parent to sit in the dental chair and hold their child during the examination. In the later periods, family dentist shall leverage the gained confidence to further build a professional dental relationship with the child.
During the first visit, Midway dentist will listen to and note any dental issues if any, examine all of your child’s existing teeth for decay, examine your child’s bite, and look for any potential problems with the gums, jaw, and oral tissues.
If required, the Midway dentist will list any dental treatments required, assess the need for fluoride and further educate parents about oral health care basics, custom to their children and discuss dental developmental issues and answer any questions.
Topics Midway dentist may discuss with you might include:
- Good oral hygiene practices for your child’s teeth and gums and cavity prevention
- Fluoride needs
- Oral habits (thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, lip sucking)
- Developmental milestones
- Proper nutrition
- Re-schedule of dental checkups. At Midway Dental Clinic, dentists encourage children to visit every 6 months to build up the child’s comfort and confidence level in visiting the dentist, to monitor the development of the teeth, and promptly treat any developing problems.
Please call us for an appointment and seek advantage of our complimentary initial consultation dental services.
Midway Dental Clinic are conveniently located in Ashfield and Ryde, we offer FREE car parking at both the dental clinics and complimentary initial consultation.